Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cost Comparison for Cloth Diapering vs Disposable Diapers


Analysis from 2008, Disposables vs. Cloth.
Our cost: We had a gift of $400 to be spent on cloth diapers.  We spent over $200 on prefolds in multiple sizes, including 24 in each of the two smallest sizes for a full rotation in these early months.  We spent $20 on a liner, $30 on cloth wipes, $40 on wet bags (for the diaper bag), and probably $70-80 on covers for the first two sizes. 

In retrospect, I would not buy as many different sizes of diapers, especially the newborn size. I would have bought two pail liners to start.  Many diapers and covers can be purchased used (I love diaperswappers.com and various Facebook swap groups) for significantly less.  I have purchased a few covers used, but opted to go brand new on the prefolds. I figure the actual diapers have a lifespan, and I don’t mind paying to get the full life out of it.  I keep an eye out for “Seconds” by following my favorite prefold seller on facebook. I got over 60% off that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment