Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Getting Started with Cloth & Other Randomness

Getting Started
I have purchased 95% of my cloth diapering stuff from this site, because I think the owner is truthful and invested and I learned so much from browsing her (very amateur looking!) site.  This is a nice place to start:

Our stash and process and randomness
  • We have 24 diapers, and we do laundry every 36 hours or so – essentially it is a daily task.  The more diapers you have in your rotation, the less frequently you have to do laundry, but everything I have read says going more than two days leaves a hella stink that you don’t want.  Even the end of that 36 hours is quite fragrant, and our 13 gallon garbage can is about 2/3 full. 
  • We have 4 covers that we use regularly and 2 others that will work in a pinch.  When the diaper is just pee, we can reuse the cover that was just on it (or not, sometimes it needs to air out a bit on the changing table).  If the cover gets poop on it, it just gets tossed into the laundry with the diapers, no big deal.  Just can’t forget to take them out before moving to dryer.  A couple of our covers are getting stains on them, but I hear that the sun is the secret weapon.
  • I experimented with a fleece “doubler” – basically a rectangle of fleece, which purports to keep the skin a little dryer, for overnights (once I didn’t need to change her after every feeding).  They worked awesome for about a month, then BAM, the diaper smelled like strong ammonia one morning.  There are lots of ways to combat the stink, but – my cotton diapers have never stunk like that. So I think I am going to retire the synthetics and just stick to cotton.
  • A quick note on clothing: the cloth diapered butt is bootylicious. It’s just bigger. When DD was in 3 month tops she was in 6 month pants with the legs rolled up.  There are some cute pants designed for cloth diaper booties, but … who has time to look those up? Not me. Lots of dresses and BabyLegs for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment